How Government Works: the New Coalition
Please contact us for details of future dates
|This course forms part of a CMI Certificate in Leadership and Management|
What Government does, the key players and how it is held to account; what’s the dynamic of a Coalition Government and how to work effectively with it?
- Understand how the Prime Minister sets the agenda and influences policy
- Understand how Number Ten works and who is who
- Understand how policy is made through collective ministerial agreement - including Cabinet and Cabinet Committee.
- Understand how ministers are appointed and what their role and authority is
- Understand the role of Parliament and the Courts in holding Government to account
- Understand the role of Special Advisers
- Understand where the UK Government fits in a complex system of Governance Programme
Structure of Government
Decisions taken by the EU and the Devolved Administrations are increasingly affecting the lives of many UK citizens, so where does the UK Government fit? What is its role? What is the extent of its authority? Who holds Government to account? What role does Parliament Play? Do the UK Courts have a role? What is the remit of the European Courts?
How No10 and”the Centre” lead the Coalition Government and influence the decision making process.
What are the powers of the Prime Minister? How does the Prime Minister wield power to set the agenda and influence policy? How does Number Ten work? Who is who in Number Ten? How are Ministers appointed and what is their role? What is the role of the permanent civil service? What are the tensions between the two?
Ministers, Special Advisers and Civil Servants: their Roles and Relationships
The interdependent roles of Ministers and civil servants – what do they do and how are they accountable? What is the role of Special Advisers and how are they appointed and held to account? What is their relationship with civil servants?
The Decision Making Process; collective Ministerial Responsibility
How are policy decisions made? What role does Cabinet and Cabinet Committee play? How is collective ministerial accountability achieved / enforced?
Please note that the programme is subject to change without notice