Certificate in Leadership
What is it?
This is a professional qualification accredited by the UK's leading Chartered Management body. It is nationally and internationally recognised and gives you highly sought after transferable CATS points. It gives individuals the opportunity to enhance their management skills, and covers the following specialist areas: finance, policy, stakeholder management, project management, performance management, managing Government structures and Parliamentary processes.
The course has been tailored specifically to the needs of those working in the Civil Service and covers all the core skills of Professional Skills for Government.
Taken as a set of day-release courses, this qualification is delivered in an extremely flexible manner so that it fits in with busy work schedules, enabling you to progress professionally without impacting on your workplace productivity.
What level is it taught at?
It is taught at CMI Levels 5 & 6 (dependent upon which modules you choose), which for comparison purposes equates to Bachelor’s Degree level and above.
To view all CMI Level 5 & 6 Units and seminars click here
Who is it for?
- Any individual who wishes to develop their core management capabilities and competencies in specialist areas
- Any individual seeking to improve their skill and confidence in managing others
- Anyone who would like to develop their career and improve their CV with an accredited qualification from the CMI
How will I benefit?
- Gain a nationally and internationally recognised professional qualification
- Improve your personal performance and develop your career to suit your career plan and in your own timeframe
- Develop expertise in the relevant skills set out in the PSG framework
- The qualification will give you transferable CATS points, which means you carry the credit to Universities
- A year’s complementary membership of the Chartered Management Institute, with all the benefits that this provides for students, such as: access to CMI online management library resources, free legal helpline, attendance at CMI events and conventions
How will my employer benefit?
- More proficient management and leadership within the organisation, with associated benefits of improved service delivery and greater productivity
- Improved morale of its employees, leading to reduced staff turnover, greater stability, and less need to spend money on externally recruiting new managers and leaders.
- The tailor-made approach ensures that the skills you learn are immediately applicable in the workplace
- The CMI provides a tried and tested assurance of quality and best practice management techniques
- The Centre for Parliamentary Studies ensures that the training is tailored to the requirements of Civil Service managers, rather than generic management theory that is given by many other training providers
When can I start?
You can start the programme at any point during the year, as modules are repeated regularly throughout the year. Most delegates take between 6—8 months to complete this qualification, including the assessments.
What is involved?
Depending on your choice of modules, you will normally attend between 6-8 training days, and you will need to complete two assignments of 2000-3000 words (completed in your own time).
How much does it cost?
£2750 & VAT. This covers all tuition, materials, assessments, and membership of the CMI for the duration of the course.
Suggested Course Options and Bespoke Opportunities
The Centre for Parliamentary Studies has worked with the Chartered Management Institute to realign its professional programme for the Public Sector. Courses which the Centre recommends are listed below. Anyone wishing to make their own combination of courses is welcome to discuss their preferred option with our specially trained staff, who are here to help you get the most benefit from your professional career development. Our suggested course options are as follows:
- Professional Certificate in Policy and Performance Management
- Professional Certificate in Policy and Project Management
- Professional Certificate in Policy and Stakeholders
- Professional Certificate in Finance and Project Management
- Professional Certificate in Finance and Performance Management
- Professional Certificate in Leadership and Performance Management
The seminars are taught by professional expert trainers in a classroom style setting, usually with a cabaret layout to encourage informality and small group working. Teaching methods include power point supported presentations, lectures, facilitated workshops and discussion, Q&A sessions, and presentations by expert guest speakers from Parliament and beyond.
Each Unit has a written task associated with it, which candidates have to complete successfully to qualify for their Award or Certificate. The written task is based on the content of the seminars in the unit. Candidates are required to demonstrate their understanding of, and ability to implement, a series of learning outcomes as specified by the CMI. Detailed information about each task and its learning outcomes is available to delegates who have signed up for the course.
The written tasks are internally assessed by our professional assessors. They are then moderated by our internal supervisor to assure consistency of quality and achievement, and these moderated scripts are also verified externally by the CMI. Successful candidate are awarded their appropriate Certificate or Award. Candidates whose work is referred can resubmit their work according to procedures described in detail in the course handbook.